Monday, February 18, 2008

Symbol


I have lately grown a deep respect for film-makers that utilize symbolism. In my humble opinion symbolism can be the single thing that can separate a good movie from a great one. My recent viewing of "Kingdom of Heaven" proved to me again just how much a simple symbol--whether that be thematic, universal, or otherwise--can carry such massive weight that just showing it can elicit strong emotions. Example: for some people just seeing a cross can give them a strong feeling of solemnity.

If I were to recommend a director that you should take notice of it would certainly be Ridley Scott--most especially for his strong symbolism in "Gladiator", "Kingdom of Heaven", and "Blade Runner". You can even see strong symbolism in some of his less amazing efforts like "Legend" (intriguing, and amusing to be sure).

That's what I have to say about that.

No comments: