Saturday, January 24, 2009

Rosenstrasse


A couple nights ago I had the delight of filling my vision, and other associated senses with a wonderful German film that my sister, Emily, introduced me to: Rosenstrasse. A truly touching tale (I mean that in the best way) of struggling Aryan German women, in 1943 Berlin, fighting to discover the fate of their Jewish husbands. The true story also incorporates another moving tale about a modern day woman trying to discover her mother's repressed past, and in so doing crosses paths with a woman she can grow to call her adopted grandmother. The beauty, and precision in which the plot lines intertwine is undeniable. The acting never distracts, but simply enriches. I can honestly say that I would recommend it to all that I know. Give Rosenstrasse a peek and you won't be sorry.
My Rating: B+

1 comment:

Emily said...

Great Review, Brian. I also encourage everyone to see Rosenstrasse!